Wednesday, May 13, 2009

rainy day

On days like these, Jack and I enjoy a rainy-day picnic on the square. I love to watch him run, chase defenseless pigeons, jump in puddles, laugh, squeal, say "Hi, I'm Daack, and I'm twooo." to everyone he sees. He does not know what day it is, he has no notion of the time. He doesn't have any expectations of what will happen during the course of the day... and so he can't possibly feel anxiety or disappointment. He is genuinely, whole-heartedly, completely and totally innocent and happy and content. This is what it means to be a child. He makes no plans, he just is and does. He is such a light, and he teaches me new things every day.

When you were a kid, what was your favorite thing to do on a rainy day?
(Mine was this: I'd find a place to hide in one of the many hay lofts or barns or sheds around our farm with a flashlight and a book and something to eat and pretend I lived there. I'd stay in there all day, with blankets and all kinds of secret things... just listening to the rain and feeling so hidden and safe.)

2 comments:

drollgirl said...

your son is going to be a LOOKER!!!! my lord he is a cutie and i bet he'll be a lady killer someday. a sweet one, too, judging by how fun and cute he is right now. :)

Christina said...

what a cute guy! and i totally know that square...i grew up there.
marietta?

Related Posts with Thumbnails