Monday, July 20, 2009

Previously, on In The Cottage...

Well, Hello Stranger! It's true. Not only have I fallen off the proverbial "blog wagon"... I seem to have been kicked by the proverbial "blog horse", run over by said wagon and drug for several "proverbial miles".... until now. I've snapped out of the blank stare I've been in for months, and am now ready to, as the kids say...do it to it once again.

This last weekend was a special one... my sweet Sis-in-Law's baby shower (...and don't think I don't know that it's actually grammatically correct to say "Sis's-in-Law"... I DO know it, I'm just not that nerdy... or, maybe I am... um.) It was an absolutely perfect, beautiful, mild summer day... Jennifer looked ridiculously beautiful (see below), and a great time was had by all.


Today is Monday, which for me, usually means I'm in mourning for the weekend until about 10:30, at which point I'm forced off the couch by my child, and made to actually rejoin the human race, clean up and get out of the house... laundry, grocery shopping for the week and just general lame Monday chores. But today, I treated myself to a little Harry's action instead of the dreaded Kroger I usually go to. It was lovely, and I bought lots of tantalizing veggies... (Andy and I are calorie-counting, and he's forcing me to STOP making Pioneer Woman recipes (insert weeping) and start, gasp..... cooking healthy.) So here's what I did tonight:


I roasted an eggplant (by cutting it into half inch slices, brushing it with olive oil, seasoning with kosher salt and fresh pepper, and popping it into a preheated 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.)


I then sliced a whole wheat baguette in half, spreading one side with goat cheese and topping it with roasted red peppers (from the jar) and fresh pepper. Spreading the other side with kalamata olive tapenade and topping with the roasted eggplant. I then warmed the whole outfit in the over for about 5 minutes, and it was Good-To-Go. We used a little tzatziki as a dipping sauce for the sammie... and that sent it over the edge good.

Low-calorie, low-fat, low-skill.... High Flava!
Woot.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails