I've started chipping away at the ice pack I've had this old blog in for the last few months. I'd all but given it up for good, and then lo and behold! I felt like writing a little something.
I'm feeling the calm that comes along with seeing progress. I've changed my diet and have been feeling the wonderful effects of eating whole foods! Thanks to the inspiration and information that I've gotten here, here and here, I've made some major changes and I'm excited about getting healthy.
Basically, what I've done is:
1. Cut out all added sugar.
2. Cut out all artificial sugar. (I was a Splendaholic, so this was a biggie. I now use Stevia.)
3. Cut out (almost) all caffeine. (No more coffee, now I do green tea, but not even every day.)
4. Cut out preservatives.
5. Eating grass-fed free-range organic meats. (Here's an anecdote for ya: Grain-fed chicken is the worst. Because of their high-sugar diets, these poor animals end up contracting all kinds of mess; cancer being one. The butchers that process the meat are trained on how to cut away these tumors and separate them from the "sellable" chicken. What happens to the tumor chicken pile? Well, my friends that is the answer to why places like McDonald's are able to produce those lovely little Mcnuggets, sell them for only cents, and still make a profit. They buy THAT chicken!! sickness.)
6. I'm now eating (mostly) gluten-free.
7. Drinking water with lemon at every turn. (The lemon alkalizes your body, which helps you out in a multitude of ways. )
8. No food after 8 at night. (Hard.)
9. I'm all about the coconut! I now like to cook with Coconut Oil instead of Olive oil and drink this. (The principle fatty acid in coconut milk is lauric acid, which is the same fat found in abundance in mother's milk and is known to promote normal brain development and contribute to healthy bones. And it's SUPER yummy!)
10. A couple glasses of wine, but only on the weekend. (This one was harder than I'd like to admit.)
One great thing I'm implementing is my friend Lesley's "free meal a week". I love knowing that if I behave, I can at least look forward to one splurge!
So, I guess this sounds pretty strict, but to be honest, it has not been as hard as it looks to be. Thanks to the wonderful recipes and tips I've gotten from different people, I'm 3 weeks in and going strong.
Here's to change!