Wednesday, April 7, 2010

our easter.


We were able to travel down to my Mom's for Easter (the first time in 10 years! Shame!) And we had such an amazing time. I've got one big honkin' family! And although they weren't all able to make it we still had quite the gathering. Jack had an almost obscene amount of fun running barefoot, playing in the dirt, sweating and just all-around embracing his good ol' country roots.

For me and Andy there were late-night card games, lazy afternoon porch swinging, muddy 4-wheeler escapades, awesome barbecue, guitar pickin and a graveyard tour!
Southern fun at it's best!

You may be thinking this an odd activity to be doing on Easter... But this is actually the ancestral graveyard for my maternal Grandmother's side of the family, the Sheppard's. It lies at the end of a long, shady dirt road just down from our house and has always been a favorite place to go exploring. Some of the gravestones date back to the 18th century. And we even uncovered some unmarked graves out in the woods, which were very mysterious and a little spooky. It was neato.

Here are some other highlights of the weekend.
I love knowing that Jack will always have sweet memories like these. It's a true gift to be able to share it all with him. To watch him play in the same places I use to when I was 3 years old, walking barefoot through the clover and running around the same giant pecan trees. It's a beautiful thing.

The ultimate was getting to watch him hunt for his basket on Easter morning. (Because when I was little, the Easter bunny would hide mine somewhere on the farm and I would have to go out and search for it. It was our thing. And just another one of my favorite little traditions.)

(me, circa '83.)

The above sweetness is too much to be borne! I'm so thankful to my Lord for all of these blessings! And I hope you all had an equally perfect holiday.

Smooches!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this!!

Brandi said...

i adore those lil liberty 'alls you're sportin'! Stella needs a pair! And the cemetary picture is awesome, I bet that was a great time. I enjoy stuff like that, I'm morbid that way ;)

Claire Kiefer said...

Awww, this makes me miss the south. :)

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

It sounds delightful! Great pics (love the vintage ones of you). The dragonfly capture is fantastic!

Related Posts with Thumbnails